In this Article we will Discuss:
- What CBD Oil is and what it is Not.
- Hemp-derived CBD vs. Marijuana.
- How CBD Works
- What Acne is
- What Natural Ingredients You can try to Help with Acne.
Let’s be honest we are a judgmental and shallow society for right or wrong. Your face is what the world sees first and people judge you based off your melon!
What is CBD Exactly?
CBD is short for Cannabidiol and is one of 113 or so beneficial chemicals found in the Hemp plant. We call these (plant) phytocannabinoids. These are extracted when the plant is processed for CBD products. The CBD chemical comprises approximately 30-40% of the Hemp plant.
Another well-known phytocannabinoid is THC, this produces “high” effect one can get from using Marijuana. More importantly, this is where the confusion lies between these two plants, and what makes many hesitate trying CBD Oil.
Hemp vs Marijuana
- Both come from the Cannabis Sativa plant family (like cousins)
- Legal Industrial Hemp is bred to have very low THC-levels, 0.3% or less
- Hemp is also bred to have 30-40% CBD levels
- Marijuana is bred to have the opposite levels of CBD and THC
- Typically Marijuana contains around 1% of CBD and 30-40% of THC
- One will never get a “high” from using Hemp CBD Oil products
- Hemp is also full of other beneficial vitamins and minerals
HOW CBD WORKS
CBD works with your Endocannabinoid System or ECS for short. Newly discovered in the 1990’s, this system is responsible for your homeostasis levels, which helps keep you alive! From bodily functions of appetite, pain, inflammation, sleep, and immunity. For this topic, how much oil our skin produces.
This cell-signaling system has two main receptors – CB1 and CB2. These lie all throughout your body. Now, how CBD works within this system is that it does not go into these cells, but allows helpful compounds to enter or keep harmful compounds out. A Lock and Key sort of mechanism.
OPTIONS FOR ACNE
Acne (facial/body) effects approximately 40-50 million U.S. citizens and millions more worldwide. It is a skin condition that is the most common, and can bring not just scarring of the skin, but emotional scarring for the person.
Zits, pimples, whiteheads or whatever you call ’em they are a pain! Caused by excess oil production, bacteria, and dirt, these can destroy one’s self esteem.
Whether it is the result of hormone changes for teens, changing birth control medications, or adult acne. The emotional pain can often supersede the physical, and diminish one’s quality of life. Hope is not lost though.
Some Natural Things to Try:
- Beeswax – Packed with anti-septic and anti-inflammatory properties, also acts as a skin softener for smooth texture. Provides a barrier against environmental pollution i.e. smoke, air.
- Essential Oils – many possess anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Some of the best for acne are Tea tree, Rosemary, Lavender, Eucalyptus, and Lemon Oil – these all have shown to have anti-microbial properties as well. Always use with a carrier oil like extra virgin coconut oil or hempseed oil.
- Extra Virgin Coconut Oil – Can be used on its own or with essential oils, as it has a fatty acid called Lauric Acid, which is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Is great for external and internal use. Contains strong anti-bacterial qualities and has become a staple for most holistic users. Remember, to dillute this with water, four parts to one, and test on small area to check for an adverse reaction.
- CBD – Most of the research has been on stopping excess oil buildup. Anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, as well as an antioxidant.
This is not an exhaustive list of options by any means, but just sort of a primer for the first-time user. In addition, these can all be utilized in combinations of some or all of these ingredients. Most CBD or plant-based products will have combinations of many of these in their products. Or you can create your own.
Note: The majority of users will have no adverse reactions to topical use of CBD. However, if you have redness, swelling, or itching of the applied area, stop use immediately.
We wanted to show you that there are other options than the synthetic, over the counter options, that are filled with chemicals and hopefully you will find an option that is organic and natural and works for you. We believe there is a solution found in or on Mother Earth to every condition one might face in life and acne is no different.