This is Part of Our Larger
Series on Mental Health and CBD
Nervous? Fear? Panic Attacks?
What is going to happen? Are Demon Thoughts running rampant in your brain? Tiny Devil and Tiny Angel sitting on your shoulders?
For many of us this is the battlefield we endure each day. Now add the issues with Covid-19 and many of us are mentally and physically exhausted!
So what do we do? In this article we will discuss all about Anxiety and Stress. In addition, we will discuss if CBD can help with any of this emotional turmoil. Furthermore, we will give some tips and techniques you can use to help you cope and hopefully emerge as a more informed individual. Knowing is half the battle!
This is part of our Larger Mental Health Series of CBD Articles.
WHAT IS ANXIETY?
Anxiety is your body’s response to stress, and many times coincides with a change in your life. Essentially, it is a fear of what the future holds. The Unknown, to many people, is mentally crippling and with it Stress levels skyrocket.
So Whether it is…
- First Day of School
- Starting a New Job
- Coronavirus or a Pandemic
- Moving to a New Place or State
- Loss of a Loved One (Person or Pet)
These all can induce Stress and Anxiety for most people and are relatively normal for the most part. Everyone gets nervous when making change in life, as most of us are creatures of habit. Our habits can breed security.
Knowing where you work, a daily routine, enough money for the bills, etc. These make us feel relatively content, even though they can induce stress/anxiety from time to time. For the most part it is temporary.
For Example, what did we see when Covid-19 hit? People frantically scrambling for groceries and supplies. This is the result of anxiety which breeds stress. When people don’t feel in control they resort back to what they can control.
Almost subconsciously people were hoarding supplies because of this fear of the unknown. Even though the Virus had nothing to do with disruptions in the supply chains in the food industry.
At least (Groceries) in this regard, was something people could control. And with that small bit of control over something like food, that helps them manage their anxiety.
However, if the Anxiety lasts for six months or longer and disrupting your day to day functioning, than it is more of a “disorder”.
What are Anxiety Disorders?
Anxiety Disorders affect roughly 40 Million Americans, and millions more worldwide. Always, remember you are not alone. With an Anxiety Disorder it can feel like it is part of you, with you all the time. The fear breeds more fear and more stress.
This can be very debilitating in one’s life and in some cases it can emotionally kill the person and ruin any quality of life they once had. A few examples are when a person will not cross a street or never leave the house.
Anxiety Disorders are the most common of any of the Emotional Disorders and women are more likely to be diagnosed than men according to the APA. However, that could be because Men don’t go to the Doctor lol.
Some of the More well-known Disorders are:
- Social Anxiety – Fear of social settings, i.e. gossiping, judging, staring
- Phobia – Fear of a specific activity, object, or place
- Separation Anxiety – Fear of being separated from home, family members, or pets
- Hypochondria – Fear about your health, always a new health issue to deal with
- PTSD – Fear following a traumatic event, i.e. car accident, military, domestic violence
- Panic Attacks – Fear of the next attack happening at any time or place
At one time or another, most of us have had small exposures or incidences where we have tasted the feelings of many of these disorders. However, the difference is most of us are freed from these prisons.
As oppose to the ones who suffer with this for long periods of time. For some the Disorder becomes their identity replacing who they use to be. Typically, if not treated or a come to Jesus moment, the disorders will only get worse.
WHAT IS STRESS?
We have to talk about Stress when we discuss Anxiety. The two go hand in hand.
So what is stress? Stress can be a physical, mental, and/or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental tension. It can be external and internal and most of us have experienced it at one time or another in our lives.
Although, not all stress is bad. For example, the flight or fight response to rid yourself of a dangerous situation. Or the stress involved cramming for a test or job interview, these events cause us to step up our game so to speak.
What’s the Difference between Stress and Anxiety? Technically, Stress is the reaction to a situation happening right now, as opposed to Anxiety which is the reaction to a future situation that may or may not happen. However, one can cause the other and the physical symptoms are almost interchangeable.
Stress Can Produce…
- Increase in Breathing
- Increase in Heartbeat
- Liver release glucose for energy
- Loss of Appetite or in some cases Binge eating
- Spike in the Stress hormone Cortisol
- Spike in the Hormone/Neurotransmitter Adrenaline
- Fight or Flight Response
CAN CBD HELP?
The Good news is that many people who take CBD Oil have noticed a sense of calmness and well-being.
As a plant-extract, Cannabidiol or CBD is known as a Phytocannabinoid or a Plant Chemical. To date, the Hemp plant contains over 100 identified phytocannabinoids and the research is still largely at the infancy stage.
Many people are not aware that all mammals (You and Mr. Marbles) already produce some cannabinoids within their own body, these are called Endocannabinoids.
These function as a cell-signaling system or Neurotransmitters in a network of receptors scattered throughout the peripheral and central nervous systems.
This system we refer to as the Endocannabinoid System or ECS, which was only discovered in the 1990’s. Amazing to think that many of us thought that we knew everything there was to know about the human body, yet just a few decades ago researchers discovered this integrate and amazing system that regulates our homeostasis functions. The functions that keep us alive and surviving!
- MOOD & APPETITE
- IMMUNE FUNCTION & REPRODUCTION
- REGULATION OF TEMPERATURE
- MOTOR CONTROL AND SLEEP
- DIGESTION AND INFLAMMATION
- REPRODUCTION AND MEMORY
More Importantly, taking CBD, at the right dosage level, works with the ECS like a lock and key mechanism with these receptor sites. It will let good compounds in these cells and keep harmful ones out. I.E. blocking a pain signal.
Today, mainly because of poor diets and nutrition, or because of some underlying condition, many people’s ECS is like a boarded up house. Yes, it is still standing and in one piece, but the inside is dilapidated and in need of repair.
So for some CBD has awakened this Integral system and helped get them back to functioning properly. In essence, giving the chance at our own bodies to repair themselves, and help with the proper functioning of what the ECS does.
- One Day at a Time – Remember to stay in the present, stop looking back or forward, but try to enjoy today. No one is guaranteed tomorrow.
- Simple Things – Take delight in what God created, does Mr. Marbles up above not bring you a smile? Enjoy small pleasures you use to enjoy.
- Nature – Go for a walk and connect to Mother Earth, Cities/Houses that’s man made garbage. Immerse yourself with trees and birds. Bring your camera!
- Exercise – One of the best things you can do for yourself. Releases endorphins, sweat out toxins, promotes better sleep, and builds self confidence.
- Adopt a Pet – They need a home! Studies have shown simply petting a dog or cat reduces stress and anxiety. Helps with loneliness.
- Volunteer – Take the focus off yourself and help someone else (people or pet), Karma has a way of helping you when you help someone else.
- Positive Talk – Out loud, all through the day. Will be awkward at first, but keep at it. “I am blessed”, “I am confident”, “I am strong”, “I am attractive” or similar positive mantras when you hear them out loud, they can help destroy the negative thoughts and fear that tend to crop up.
- Eat Right – Too much sugar or caffeine is not good for anyone, try eating more organic plant-based options. If you are trying to lose weight, drink a full glass of water before eating each meal.
- Join a Group – There are thousands of Mental Health groups on social media, find one and share your story.
- Try CBD – Loaded with phytocannabinoids, vitamins and minerals, omegas and amino acids, CBD may help your system function properly.
Overall, remember you are not alone. Millions suffer with anxiety and stress on a daily basis. Learn and educate yourself about it, try some tips mentioned here or create your own. More Importantly, you can and will overcome this.
In addition, whether getting on a CBD regimen will help with your mood is still up for debate, but the initial research is showing promise. We always advise to talk with your Doctor or Mental Health counselor if you think you might want to give CBD Oil a try.