Part of our Second Series on Alternative Wellness Treatments, which includes Acupressure, Acupuncture, and Cupping.
In this Article we will discuss what you need to know about Reflexology. More importantly, the applications, benefits, and if CBD can help aid in this massage technique. Also, what to expect during a typical session, as well as more resources.
WHAT IS REFLEXOLOGY?
Reflexology dates back to approximately 4,000 years ago and involves the application of pressure to specific areas of the feet and hands (ears). This area of wellness is based on the theory that your hands and feet have specific points that are connected to your body’s organs and systems.
FYI, there are approximately 7,200 nerve endings in each hand and foot.
Reflexology is similar to acupressure and acupuncture, however those applications use areas all over the body, whereas Reflexology is primarily for your feet and hands.
It is designed to recondition and re-educate these nerve endings so your body will biologically correct itself and function properly as it once did.
Further, it can also be a complement to ongoing medical treatments, but not as a replacement. Most importantly, Reflexologists do not diagnose or treat illnesses.
HOW IS REFLEXOLOGY PERFORMED?
Reflexologists use a foot or hand map/chart like the ones above to guide them when applying gentle pressure to specific areas of the feet or hands. The hope is that by applying pressure to the specific location on the foot, it will help relax and heal the corresponding body part.
Much more research needs to be done in this area of wellness, but initial studies have shown the following. These are just a sample of the numerous benefits of Reflexology that many users have reported.
- MIND AND BODY CONNECTION – According to Webmd, Researchers have reviewed 17 studies of the psychological benefits of this therapy and found that it reduced stress levels and boosted feelings of well-being, which in turn helped the people better manage their conditions.
- DEPRESSION – Pressure applied to the tops of the toes where the brain reflexes are enhances serotonin production, which is released by the neurons in the brain.
- RELAXATION – The Power of Touch alone is well documented and beneficial. When combined with reflexology, which stimulates your thousands of nerve endings, one will experience immediate relaxation and stress reduction.
- IMPROVED CIRCULATION – Like massage, reflexology increases the flow of blood. Specific nerves in the feet are used to stimulate and increase the functioning of the heart. Resulting in better oxygen supply to your vital organs and consequently improves your central nervous system.
- BETTER IMMUNE SYSTEM – Improves your body’s Cytotoxic capacity, which in turn promotes a better immune system.
- PAIN RELIEF – Recommended for post-operative rehabilitation and can be effectively used for pain relief. Whether from injury, arthritis, back/neck pain, or migraines, many users will notice a benefit by stimulating the nerve endings connected to these parts of the body.
REFLEXOLOGY AND CBD
If you have been researching CBD then you know that it works within your Endocannabinoid System or ECS. People and Pets are using CBD for a variety of wellness reasons, including pain management, as well as mood and sleep issues. Further, CBD gives your body the nutrients that most western diets lack to help your body function as it should.
The hope of Reflexology is to have your systems throughout your body function properly and to clear any blockages in your various systems and organs. Similarly, CBD has relatively the same goal. So using both in conjunction with one another only will increase the chances of you achieving your desired results.
In addition, many Reflexologists are now offering and applying CBD Oil or CBD Lotion to the hands and feet during the session to be absorbed through the skin, to further encourage positive results.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING A SESSION
When you visit a Reflexologist or have an at home session, typically you will have a short interview with your practitioner regarding your health issues and any problems you are currently experiencing so they can be addressed during the session.
The Reflexologist may ask you to soak your feet in warm water or they might apply rubbing alcohol, essential oils, or CBD to your feet before starting. This further will relax you and allow more blood flow to the feet or hands.
Further, you will likely lie down fully clothed with bare feet. The Reflexologist may perform a light overall massage to the feet to check for range of motion and any tension issues.
Then he/she will perform the reflexology typically using a chart or map of the hand or foot, then repeat with the other hand/foot. Sessions will typically be anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and cost roughly the same as a massage, about $50-$100 in most places.
Depending on the issue and the customer, you may need about six sessions to get the full benefits.
Overall, we hope you have learned how Reflexology works, the benefits, if CBD can help, and what to expect during a typical session. As an alternative treatment, Reflexology can do wonders for some people, and maybe it can help you as part of your overall wellness regimen.